Saturday, November 22, 2008

I'm baaaaack!

And I had a weird afternoon.

A while back when Mike put up new cabinets in the garage, he also built me a recycling center. It's basically a cabinet with an empty space in the middle, and we found some stackable recycling bins to put in this space. When the bins are full or getting close, I take them over to the local recycling center. Today was one of those days, and since it was cold I was wearing gloves. I picked up a bin that had aluminum cans, opened up the dumpster, held it upside down over the dumpster, and felt the bin slip out of my gloved hand into the dumpster. Yep. I grabbed the side of the dumpster and pushed myself up to see if I could reach the bin, but it landed approximately in the middle of the fairly empty dumpster, so I had no chance of reaching it. And this is the second bin I've lost recently. Well, I still have the first one but the bottom is held together with duct tape. I let someone stand on it because he had dropped something in the dumpster he shouldn't have, and I didn't even think about the fact that it wouldn't be sturdy since there is an opening in the front to allow you to have a way to put in your stuff if another bin is stacked on top of it. Of course, that wouldn't be the bin that fell in the dumpster.

So from there I head to the grocery store. I swipe my debit card and it comes back "declined, contact bank". Pretty funny since I'm in the debit card manager at my bank. So I whip out the checkbook and proceed to slow down the line. The store has one of those cards where they punch for how much you spend, and once it's full they scratch it off and see if you won something. The cashier starts scratching my card, then picks up the intercom and announces "we have a holiday cash winner on lane 5". Now, I won $10 last year, and I asked her how much I won. She shows me the card and says that I won my groceries. Whoo-hoo! Of course, the guys in line behind me say "hey she's got more" and start pushing their stuff down. Would that I could, guys. So she hands me my check back, and I go to the service counter to fill out some forms. The manager starts giving me a hard time because I have "hippie bags" from another store, but I sass him back and tell him that I was trying to spend money in his store. They wanted to take my picture too but that was not gonna happen. The funny thing was is I only spent $42 (hmmm...that's the answer to the question of life!), but hey, I'm happy to have it. Now I can use that money to buy some new recycling bins.

No comments: