Monday, October 23, 2006

Wrinkle Free

I'm glad I was born in modern times. By modern times, I mean the times when women do not stay home and do housework. You've seen the cute little plaques and cross-stitches with the chores list-"wash on Wednesday", etc. Most of those chores aren't so bad. And some days staying home and doing housework doesn't sound so bad either. No, I'm talking about a specific chore on that list, and that chore is ironing. I really hate ironing. Just in case I'm not being clear enough, let me repeat-I hate ironing.

Most of my clothes that need ironing get worn infrequently. They get worn, they get washed, and then they get shoved into the back of the closet until I am either out of clothes or I can sweet talk Mike into ironing for me. The problem is there's always that piece of clothing that I really like, and gets wrinkled really easily. Then I eventually break down and drag out the iron. Of course, I try to rationalize it first-"why bother ironing, it's going to wrinkle as soon as I put it on anyway?" Sometimes I can get away with it, but not always.

The problem with my ironing is that it doesn't look much better after I'm done. When Mike irons my shirts, they stand up and walk back to the closet and hang themselves back up. When I iron my shirts, they kind of slouch back into the closet, yawn, and take a nap. Plus I never seem to be able to keep them on the ironing board-they tend to slide away just when I have them turned the right way. I may have to get a staple gun to solve that problem.

We've made great strides with wrinkle free pants, now the laundry geniuses need to come up with wrinkle free blouses. Or better yet, a home version of a laundy press like they have at the dry cleaners. Until then, there are some shirts I won't be wearing a whole lot.

1 comment:

Lisa Meltzer said...

I'm certain that you would cut your finger on the permanent wrinkles I'd make with a laundry press.

My ironing board is set up in my bedroom at all times. Unfortunately, it is aways piled with clothes that are too clean to go in the laundry but too dirty to put back in the closet. This renders the board virtually useless for its intended purpose.