Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Chicken With Garlic

A while back I had picked up one of those cookbooks you always find on clearance at Borders and Barnes & Noble. This one is devoted to chicken recipes. I made two or three recipes then promptly forgot about it. While trying to get new recipe ideas last week, I rediscovered this book and one of the recipes in it. I made it tonight, and it's definitely going into regular rotation. Here it is (with a slight adjustment):

3 6-ounce skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tablespoons snipped fresh snipped parsley
1/2 cup dry sherry or chicken broth
Hot cooked rice (optional)
Fresh rosemary sprigs (optional)
Paprika (optional)

In a large skillet cook chicken in hot oil until slightly browned, turning to brown evenly. Stir in garlic and parsley. Cook and stir until the garlic is tender.

Carefully add the sherry or broth. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer about 15 minutes or until chicken is tender and no longer pink. If desired, serve with rice. If desired, garnish with rosemary sprigs and sprinkle with paprika.

The original recipe says to coat the chicken with flour, salt, and pepper, but I don't follow directions very well and completely missed this step. I thought it tasted better, and Mike really liked it, so it's staying in my cookbook without the coating.

We had this with a really good bottle of wine. It's an Argentinian malbec from the Kaiken winery. I think malbec must be an Argentinian word (or would that be Spanish?) word for damn good wine. This was Friar Tuck's wine of the month a couple of months ago, and I'm wishing now we had picked up a couple more bottles. Then again, if we had, I might have been tempted to open a second bottle, and that's not a good idea.

No comments: