Monday, January 07, 2008

Writers' Strike-Blessing or Curse?

I know, I'm the 56,009,247th person to post about the writer's strike. Better late than never, right?

Why is the writers' strike great?
-More time to watch movies. The Netflix account has been getting a workout after being neglected for a while. The irony is that I'm using this time to catch up on a TV series-Battlestar Galactica (the new version). If you get a chance, check it out. It's not campy like the old one.
-I don't feel chained to my television. Even though we have Tivo and rarely watch live TV, you still have to keep up with what's on so you don't get that plot spoiler when your office mates start talking about what they watched last night.
-More time to blog. Although I'll let my reader(s) decide if that's good, bad, or indifferent.

Why does the writers' strike suck?
-Reality TV. I could deal with it if it's interesting bordering on educational, like Top Chef, What Not To Wear, and Meerkat Manor, but Dance Wars and American Gladiators? My IQ just dropped ten points.
-I enjoy the shows that I watch. Obviously, otherwise I wouldn't watch them. I'm not pining away here wondering if Sam and Dean from Supernatural are ever going to be back slaying demons, but sometimes you just want to space out in front of the TV.
-Britany Spears. OK, she has nothing to do with it but the media makes her out to be the Devil Incarnate, so might as well blame her for this too.

Looks to me like the strike is mostly a blessing. No matter what, it can't be all that bad for us to maybe put down the remote for a while and start connecting with one another again. Or watch Terminator, the Sarah Conner Chronicles. The previews for that show look pretty good.

2 comments:

Lisa Meltzer said...

I hear ya! We're totally catching up with all the TCM movies and episodes of The Wire we've DVRed.

Anonymous said...

yay netflix. and i was just missing sam and dean from supernatural tonight. ha ha. just kidding. the reality shows are becoming a bit too much. i hear you.