Friday, June 16, 2006

Not so good news

Well, it appears that Sam's prognosis was a bit premature. She is blind right now, and we're really hoping it's a temporary condition. We're not sure what happened, it may have been brought on by the anesthesia she was under last week. There have been some cases where cats go blind after being under. Sometimes it happens right away, sometimes it happens later. In this case, (if that is what caused it) it happened a week after she had her tests. If it is temporary, her vision could come back in days, weeks, or months. There are a lot of unknowns here. She's not been herself since this happened, and that's been the hardest thing for me to deal with. She just lays underneath the guest bed. She will come out when I feed her, and then she'll spend some time pacing around the house, as if she's trying to get her bearings.

I've also got to put drops in her eyes to make sure they are hydrated. I think I've ended up with more drops on her fur than in her eyes. I'm scared that I will poke her eye with the dropper.

So keep Samantha in your thoughts and prayers. Hopefully my next post about her will be better news.

1 comment:

Dave and Laura said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Sammy! I've been thinking of her lots and I'm still going to try to talk to our zoo vet (she's been on vacation). I hope all goes well on friday.