Thursday, June 01, 2006

To Tattoo or Not To Tattoo?

That is the question. But not the Ultimate Question, because 42 makes no sense as answer.

Anyway, I'm debating whether or not to get a tattoo. This is something that I've thought of a few times over the years, but never did anything, mainly because I couldn't decide on what to get. I got the bug a few months ago, and started looking at tattoo forums for ideas as well as tips on what (and what not) to do. I've narrowed it down to two possible choices. The first one is a musical note (or series of notes). Music has always been an important part of my life, and this would represent it well. (Much better than the Pearl Jam tattoo I wanted during the heyday of grunge). The other design I am debating is a paw print. This has a couple of meanings. Not only does it represent my love of cats, but also Eastern's mascot is the Panthers, and the symbol is a paw print. Since I thought of the tattoo as a graduation present to myself, that would fit as well.

The next question is where to put it. I'd like to be able to show it to people, but at the same time I don't want to have it out in the open since I work in a professional environment. The first place I thought of was on the small of my back, but there's not a lot of flesh there and that could hurt. The other place I was thinking about was near my hip bone. Plenty of flesh there so hopefully it wouldn't hurt so much, but one of my coworkers is thinking about getting a tattoo in that spot and I don't want anyone to think I'm copying her. Then again, who cares? She's got a tattoo on her back also, and there's only so many places I can put a tattoo.

The last question is the pain. Some people I talk to say it doesn't hurt so much, and others say it really hurts. Mike thinks I wouldn't be able to handle it, so of course I want to prove him wrong. I have a problem with needles, but this isn't like giving blood, where the needle is inserted into your body. It's more like getting pricked with a pin. Over and over again. Right????

So why do I really want a tattoo? Honestly, I can't think of a good reason besides "I want one". It's not to be a rebel, because tattoos are pretty acceptable nowadays. It's almost more rebellious not to have one. I think before I do anything, I need to visit my tattoo parlor of choice and get more information. If anyone out there has any tattoo experiences (good or bad) and would like to share, please do!

1 comment:

Dave and Laura said...

Hello Traci???...I have 7 in 5 different places!!! First of all... get one! Second of all...wait til you come back to Houston and we'll go together!!! Now as far as pain-shoulder doesn't hurt at all. Arm isn't so bad either. Ankle is very irritating. Small of the back is painful. And lastly the hip/stomach sucked! You want to go for a place that has a medium amount of skin. Too much like the stomach hurts, but too little, like the back of your ankle hurts too! The best advice I can give is get it where you want it, because if you don't you'll soon be back in the chair getting it in that place, and then after that you can't stop! Alright, now that I sound like your white trash hick Texan sister-in-law b/c I have too many tatoos, I must go! :) Call me.
Laura