Monday, June 05, 2006

Samantha's trip to the vet


Her Royal Highness Samantha visited the veterinarian today for her geriatric profile. This is a series of tests that the vet suggests starting at age 8 (she's 12 now). In the past, I've always declined having her undergo tests. After all, she's been healthy for the most part, and she absolutely hates going to the vet. She goes from my little sweetheart to Raging Demon Queen. She went to the vet in May for her rabies shot, and the vet recommended again that she undergo these tests. Since she was unable to examine her (she barely managed to give her the shot), I thought it might be wise to have these tests done. I could bring her in before work and pick her up on the way home, and they could sedate her in order to draw blood, etc.

After a bit of finagling, I finally managed to get her in her carrier. I recently replaced her old plastic carrier with one of those "duffel bag" type carriers, and it is much easier to carry her in that. She started crying as soon as I started the car. When I got to the vet, I had to wait for a few minutes since they were already pretty busy. As soon as I handed her over to the tech, she started hissing. Yep, that's my little girl!

Around 10 am I received a call from the vet. Surprise surprise, they were unable to examine her, so they needed to sedate her. Had she eaten this morning? I usually give her food in the morning, but I wasn't sure if she had eaten anything or not. They have to wait a certain amount of time after eating to sedate her. So, she's staying overnight so they could wait as long as they needed to before running their tests.

So no furry lump next to my feet tonight. I'm sure she'll be in a fine mood tomorrow when she comes home, but it's for her own good. Maybe she'll get an extra treat or two to make up for it.

No comments: